Rossetti Archive Textual Transcription
Document Title: After the French Liberation of Italy (Arendts Collection corrected proof)
Author: Dante Gabriel Rossetti
Date of publication: 1869
full Rossetti Archive record for this transcribed document is available.
Printer's Direction: Size smaller
Editorial Description: DGR's note to printer at upper right
Printer's Direction: X In one line
Editorial Description: DGR's note to the printer to redesign the layout of the title.
Printer's Direction: Further in
Editorial Description: DGR's note to the printer to indent line 2
Editorial Description: DGR's mark after line 8 to separate the sonnet into octave and sestet
- As when the last of the paid joys of love
- Has come and gone; and with a single kiss
- At length, and with one laugh of satiate bliss,
- The wearied man a minute rests above
- The wearied woman, no more urged to move
- In those long throes of longing; till they glide,
- Now lightlier clasped, each to the other's side,
- In joys past acting, not past dreaming of: —
- So Europe now beneath this paramour
10Lies for a little out of use, —full oft
- Submissive to his lust, a loveless whore.
- He wakes, she sleeps, the breath falls slow & soft.
- Wait: the bought body holds a birth within,
- An harlot's child, to scourge her for her sin!
Electronic Archive Edition: 1
Copyright: With permission of the New York Public Library