Rossetti Archive Textual Transcription
Document Title: After the French Liberation of Italy (Arendts Collection uncorrected proof)
Author: Dante Gabriel Rossetti
Date of publication: 1869
full Rossetti Archive record for this transcribed document is available.
Manuscript Addition: Sonnet by DG Rossetti—set up for privately printed poems of 1869 /
Editorial Description: WMR's pencil note at the top of the page
- As when the last of the paid joys of love
- Has come and gone; and with a single kiss
- At length, and with one laugh of satiate bliss,
- The wearied man a minute rests above
- The wearied woman, no more urged to move
- In those long throes of longing; till they glide,
- Now lightlier clasped, each to the other's side,
- In joys past acting, not past dreaming of: —
- So Europe now beneath this paramour
10Lies for a little out of use, —full oft
- Submissive to his lust, a loveless whore.
- He wakes, she sleeps, the breath falls slow & soft.
- Wait: the bought body holds a birth within,
- An harlot's child, to scourge her for her sin.
Electronic Archive Edition: 1
Copyright: With permission of the New York Public Library