Rossetti Archive Textual Transcription
Document Title: After the French Liberation of Italy (Princeton Library proof copy)
Author: Dante Gabriel Rossetti
Date of Composition: 1869
Type of Manuscript: fair copy
Scribe: William Sharp
full Rossetti Archive record for this transcribed document is available.
- As when the last of the paid joys of love
- Has come and gone; and with a single kiss
- At length, and with one laugh of satiate bliss,
- The wearied man a minute rests above
- The wearied woman, no more urged to move
- In those long throes of longing; till they glide,
- Now lightlier clasped, each to the other's side,
- In joys past acting, not past dreaming of: —
- So Europe now beneath this paramour
10Lies for a little out of use, —full oft
- Submissive to his lust, a loveless whore.
- He wakes, she sleeps, the breath falls slow & soft.
- Wait: the bought body holds a birth within,
- An harlot's child, to scourge her for her sin!
Electronic Archive Edition: 1
Copyright: Used with permission of Princeton University. From the Princeton
University Library, Department of Rare Books and Special Collections. All rights
reserved. Redistribution or republication in any medium requires express written
consent from Princeton University Library. Permissions inquiries should be
addressed to Associate University Librarian, Rare Books and Special Collections,
Princeton University Library.