Rossetti Archive Textual Transcription
Document Title: A Doctor's Advice
Author: Dante Gabriel Rossetti
Date of Composition: 1866
Type of Manuscript: holograph fair copy
full Rossetti Archive record for this transcribed document is available.
Note: The title is added by WMR at the lower right of the page.
Manuscript Addition: 13
Editorial Description: WMR's pagination number in upper right corner
Manuscript Addition: The translation is I think Gabriel's own doing
Editorial Description: WMR's note at the lower left.
Manuscript Addition: A Doctor's Advice
Editorial Description: WMR's note at the lower right.
Translated from an inscription in ill-spelt French
verse scratched in
the pane of a window at the New Inn,
- My doctor's issued his decree
- That too much wine is killing me,
- And furthermore his ban he hurls
- Against my touching naked girls.
- How then? must I no longer share
- Good wine or beauties dark & fair?
- Doctor, goodbye, my sail's unfurl'd,
- I'm off to try the other world.
This is the French inscription, all but bad spelling
which I can't remember.
- Mon médecin me dit souvent
- Que trop de vin me tue,
- Et me défend absolument
- De toucher aux femmes nues.
- Faut il renoncer au bon vin,
- À la brune et à la blonde?
- Adieu, monsieur le médecin,
- Je pars pour l'autre monde.
Electronic Archive Edition: 1
Copyright: By permission of the Special Collections Library, Duke University