Rossetti Archive Textual Transcription
Document Title: The Portrait (fair copy manuscript)
Author: Dante Gabriel Rossetti
Date of Composition: 1869 July or 1869 August (early)
Type of Manuscript: fair copy
full Rossetti Archive record for this transcribed document is available.
- O Lord of all compassionate control,
- O Love! let this my Lady's picture glow
- Under my hand to praise her name, and show
- Even of her inner self the perfect whole:
- That he who seeks her beauty's furthest goal,
- Beyond the light that the sweet glances throw
- And refluent wave of the sweet smile, may know
- The very sky and sea-line of her soul.
- Lo! it is done. Above the long lithe throat
10 The mouth's mould testifies of voice and kiss,
- The shadowed eyes remember and foresee.
- Her face is made her shrine. Let all men note
- That in all years (O Love, thy gift is this!)
- They that would look on her must come to me.
Electronic Archive Edition: 1
Copyright: From the Princeton University Library, Department of Rare Books and
Special Collections. Used with permission of Princeton University. All rights
reserved. Redistribution or republication in any medium requires express written
consent from Princeton University Library. Permissions inquiries should be
addressed to Associate University Librarian, Rare Books and Special Collections,
Princeton University Library.