Rossetti Archive Textual Transcription
Document Title: Hero's Lamp (Delaware fair copy Manuscript)
Author: Dante Gabriel Rossetti
Date of Composition: 1875
Type of Manuscript: Fair copy
full Rossetti Archive record for this transcribed document is available.
Paper Lineation: unlined
Paper Stock: white laid
Manuscript Addition: x
Editorial Description: An x mark and a check in upper right corner.
- That lamp there fill'st in Eros' name to-night,
- O Hero, shall the Sestian augurs take
- Tomorrow, and for drowned Leander's sake
- To Anteros its fireless lip shall plight.
- Aye, waft the unspoken vow: yet dawn's first light
- On ebbing storm & life twice ebb'
d must break;
- While 'neath no sunrise, by the Avernian lake,
- Lo where love walks, Death's pallid neophyte!
- That lamp within Anteros' shadowy shrine
10Shall stand unlit (for so the gods decree)
- Till some one man the happy issue see
- Of a life's love & bid its flame to shine:
- Which still may rest unfir'd; for mine or thine,
- O brother, what brought Love to thee or me?
Electronic Archive Edition: 1
Copyright: Digital images courtesy of the Delaware Art Museum, Samuel and Mary R.