Rossetti Archive Textual Transcription
Document Title: Hero's Lamp (Rosenbach Library fair copy)
Author: Dante Gabriel Rossetti
Date of Composition: 1875
Type of Manuscript: fair copy manuscript
full Rossetti Archive record for this transcribed document is available.
Manuscript Addition: Sonnet LXXXVIII
Editorial Description: DGR's numeration in the upper right corner
- That lamp there fill'st in Eros' name to-night,
- O Hero, shall the Sestian augurs take
- Tomorrow, and for drowned Leander's sake
- To Anteros its fireless lip shall plight.
- Aye, waft the unspoken vow: yet dawn's first light
- On ebbing storm & life twice ebb'd must break;
- While 'neath no sunrise, by the Avernian lake,
- Lo! Where love walks, Death's pallid neophyte!
- That lamp within Anteros' shadowy shrine
10Shall stand unlit (for so the gods decree)
- Till some one man the happy issue see
- Of a life's love and bid its flame to shine:
- Which still may rest unfir'd; for mine or thine,
- O brother, what brought love to thee or me?
Electronic Archive Edition: 1
Copyright: By permission of The Rosenbach Library