Rossetti Archive Textual Transcription
Document Title: For the Holy Family by Michelangelo (in the National Gallery) (Rosenbach
Author: Dante Gabriel Rossetti
Date of Composition: 1880
Type of Manuscript: fair copy
full Rossetti Archive record for this transcribed document is available.
- Turn not the prophet's page, O Son! He knew
- All that thou hast to suffer, and hath writ.
- Not yet thine hour of knowledge. Infinite
- The sorrows that thy manhood's years must rue
- And dire acquaintance of thy grief. That clue
- Thy spirits of most mournful ministerings
- Seek through
scroll in silence. For these things
- The angels have desired to look into.
- Still before Eden waves the fiery sword,—
10 Her Tree of Life unransomed: whose sad Tree
- Of Knowledge yet to growth of Calvary
- Must yield its Tempter,—Hell the earliest dead
- Of Earth resign,—and yet, O Son and Lord!
- The seed o' the woman bruise the serpent's head.
Electronic Archive Edition: 1
Copyright: By permission of the Rosenbach Library