Rossetti Archive Textual Transcription
Document Title: Raleigh's Cell in the Tower (Schott fair copy)
Author: Dante Gabriel Rossetti
Date of Composition: 1881
Type of Manuscript: draft manuscript
Scribe: John Schott
full Rossetti Archive record for this transcribed document is available.
Manuscript Addition: Copy made by John Bernard Schott
Editorial Description: Note along right hand margin, in Schott's hand
- Here writ was the world's history by his hand
- Whose steps knew all the earth; albeit his world
- In these few piteous cubits then was furl'd.
- Here daily, hourly, have his proud feet spanned
- This smaller speck than the receding land
- Had ever shown his ships; what time he hurled
- Abroad oer new-found regions spiced & pearled
- His countrys high dominion & command
- Here dwelt two spheres, the vast terrestrial zone
10His spirit traversed, & that spirit was
- Itself the zone celestial, round whose birth
- The planets played within the zodiacs girth
- Till, through an unjust death unfeared, did pass
- That spirit to the only land unknown.
Electronic Archive Edition: