Rossetti Archive Textual Transcription
Document Title: Place de la Bastille, Paris
Author: Dante Gabriel Rossetti
Date of Composition: 1849
full Rossetti Archive record for this transcribed document is available.
- How dear the sky has been above this place!
- Small treasures of this sky that we see here
- Seen weak through prison-bars from year to year;
- Eyed with a painful prayer upon God's grace
- To save, and tears that stayed along the face
- Lifted at sunset. Yea, how passing dear,
- Those nights when through the bars a wind left clear
- The heaven, and moonlight soothed the limpid space!
- So was it, till one night the secret kept
10Safe in low vault and stealthy corridor
- Was blown abroad upon swift tongues of flame.
- O ways of God, mysterious evermore!
- How many on this spot have cursed and wept
- That all might stand here now & own Thy Name.
Electronic Archive Edition: 1
Copyright: © Mark Samuels Lasner