Rossetti Archive Textual Transcription
Document Title: One with Two Shadows
Author: Dante Gabriel Rossetti
Date of Composition: 1848
Type of Manuscript: corrected fair copy
full Rossetti Archive record for this transcribed document is available.
Manuscript Addition: (8 m.)
Editorial Description: Notation at lower right indicating it was written in eight minutes.
Editorial Description: printer's marks
Editorial Note: The right square bracket at the end is another printer's mark
- I thought of her face who is
gone so far:
- And the thought passing over;—to fall thence
- Seemed like a fall from spirit into sense
- Or from the Heaven of Heavens to a mere star.
- God and mine own self have ordained the bar
- 'Twixt her and me: so that if going hence
- I met her, I should know it was a dense
- Film of the brain—just nought, as phantoms are.
- Now, when I passed
your threshold, and came in,
10 And glanced where
you were sitting, and did see
Your tresses in these braids and
your hands thus,
- I knew that other figure, grieved and thin,
seemed/appeared seemed there and
was there, could not be,
- Thou it stood like God's wrath betwixen us.
Electronic Archive Edition: 1
Copyright: By permission of the Special Collections Library, Duke University