Rossetti Archive Textual Transcription
Document Title: The Church Porches. II. (To C. G. R.)
Author: Dante Gabriel Rossetti
Date of Composition: 1869
Type of Manuscript: letter
Scribe: William Bell Scott
full Rossetti Archive record for this transcribed document is available.
Manuscript Addition: DGR at Newcastle—1853
Editorial Description: Scott's note at the top right of the manuscript
- Sister, arise: we have no more to sing
- Or say. The priest abideth as is meet
- To minister. Rise up out of thy seat,
- Though peradventure 'tis an irksome thing
- To cross again the threshold of our King,
- Where his doors stand against the evil street,
- And let each step increase upon our feet
- The dust we shook from them at entering.
- Must we of very sooth go home, the air
10 Whose heat outside makes mist that can be seen,
- Is very clear and cool where we have been.
- The priest abideth ministering. Lo!
- As he for service, why not we for prayer?
- It is so bidden, sister, let us go.
Electronic Archive Edition: 1
Copyright: Used with permission of Princeton University. From the Princeton
University Library, Department of Rare Books and Special Collections. All rights
reserved. Redistribution or republication in any medium requires express written
consent from Princeton University Library. Permissions inquiries should be
addressed to Associate University Librarian, Rare Books and Special Collections,
Princeton University Library.