Rossetti Archive Textual Transcription
Document Title: Plighted Promise
Author: Dante Gabriel Rossetti
Date of Composition: 1865
Type of Manuscript: Fair copy
full Rossetti Archive record for this transcribed document is available.
- In a soft-complexioned sky,
- Fleeting rose and kindling grey,
- Have you seen Aurora fly
- At the break of day?
- So my maiden, so my modest may
- Blushing cheek and gleaming eye
- Lifts to look my way.
- Where The inmost leaf is stirred
- With The heart-beat of the grove,
10Have you heard a hidden bird
- Cast her note above?
- So my lady, so my lovely love,
- Echoing Cupid's prompted word,
- Makes a tune thereof.
- Have you seen, at heaven's mid-height,
- In the moon - [?] rack's ebb & tide,
- Venus leap forth burning white,
- Diana pale and hide?
- So my bright breast-jewel, so my bride,
20One sweet night, when fear takes flight,
- Shall leap against my side.
Electronic Archive Edition: 1
Copyright: © Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center, the University of Texas at Austin