Rossetti Archive Textual Transcription
Document Title: The Lamp's Shrine (Delaware fair copy)
Author: Dante Gabriel Rossetti
Date of Composition: 1871
Type of Manuscript: fair copy manuscript
full Rossetti Archive record for this transcribed document is available.
Manuscript Addition: 10 Ban
Editorial Description: Note written in pencil upper left corner.
Manuscript Addition: (printed The Lamp's Shrine
Editorial Description: Note in pencil next to title.
- Sometimes I fain would find in thee some fault,
- That I might love thee still in spite of it:
- Yet how should our Lord Love curtail one whit
- Thy perfect priase whom most he would exalt?
- Alas! he can but make my heart's low vault
- Even in men's sight unworthier, being lit
- By thee, who thereby show'st more exquisite
- Like fiery chrysoprase in deep basalt.
- Yet will I nowise shrink; but at Love's shrine
10Myself within the beams his brow doth dart
- Will set the flashing jewel of thy heart
- In that dull chamber where it deigns to shine:
- For lo! in honour of thine excellencies
- My heart takes pride to show how poor it is.
Electronic Archive Edition: