Rossetti Archive Textual Transcription
Document Title: A Bloom in Hope's Garden
Author: William Michael Rossetti
Author: Dante Gabriel Rossetti
Date of Composition: 1848
Type of Manuscript: fair copy corrected
full Rossetti Archive record for this transcribed document is available.
Manuscript Addition: (7 m.)
Editorial Description: Notation at lower right indicating it was written in seven minutes.
- I came upon her looking in the glass
When all her
lady- friends were gone
but she remained at home:
- I paused upon the threshold; there was some
- Awe in my heart, before I dared to pass
- Into her chamber, as the sultry grass
- Feels a cool wind upon it, or the dome
- Of Holy Peter's Church that is in Rome
- Up among angels:— even so I was.
- As I
she turned; and I gained hope
10 From the smile in her eyes like a sweet dream
- Of what is good and gentle put in rhyme
- By some young
Of all my life,
I saw was gained; that beam
what did but seem
Within her eyes nor change could quench nor
Before I knew it now & for all time.
Electronic Archive Edition: 1
Copyright: By permission of the Special Collections Library, Duke