Rossetti Archive Textual Transcription
Document Title: Fruit from Hope's Garden
Author: William Michael Rossetti
Author: Dante Gabriel Rossetti
Date of Composition: 1848
Type of Manuscript: fair copy corrected
full Rossetti Archive record for this transcribed document is available.
Manuscript Addition: (8 m.)
Editorial Description: Notation at lower right indicating it was written in eight minutes.
- I still stood pausing:—with a smile she rose
- Speaking some words in her most gentle tone
- Of voice—that voice so musical which none
- Can equal—with a hushed, serene repose
- Of love about her, like a flame that goes
aloft to heaven: the heart
up: not love alone
Gave her that look
But certainty of faith
within her shone
- Even as a bride's or as an angel's does.
- She knew the pulses of the heart of him
10 Who stood before her; she knew all his life
Which is his love;—(I tell this, friend, to you,
- But to none other);—her great eyes were dim
fainting passion and the woman's strife
- 'Twixt wish and will that made me tremble thro'.
Electronic Archive Edition: 1
Copyright: By permission of the Special Collections Library, Duke University