Rossetti Archive Textual Transcription
Document Title: La Bella Mano (For a Picture)
Author: Dante Gabriel Rossetti
Date of Composition: 1875
Type of Manuscript: corrected fair copy
full Rossetti Archive record for this transcribed document is available.
- O lovely hand, that thy sweet self dost lave
- In that thy pure & proper element
- Whence erst the Lady of Love's high advent
- Was born, and endless fires sprang from the wave;—
- Even as
to her Loves to her their offerings gave,
- For thee the jewelled gifts they bear,
The hands and lips, the lips and eyes, outreach
Added TextLooks to those lips, of music-measured speech
Desire with more of bliss than man may crave.
Added TextThe fount, & of more bliss than man may crave;
- In royal wise, ring-girt & bracelet-spann'd,
- A flower of Venus' own virginity,
- Go shine among thy sisterly sweet band;
- In maiden-minded converse delicately
- Evermore white & soft; until thou be,
- O hand, hearted handsel'd in a lover's hand.
Electronic Archive Edition: 1
Copyright: © Harry Ranson Humanities Research Center at the University of
Texas at Austin.