Rossetti Archive Textual Transcription
Document Title: Ardour and Memory
Author: Dante Gabriel Rossetti
Date of Composition: 1879
full Rossetti Archive record for this transcribed document is available.
Manuscript Addition: The original
Editorial Description: Sharp's notation in the upper left corner.
- The cuckoo-throb, the heartbeat of the Spring;
- The rosebud's blush that leaves it as it grows
- Into the full-eyed fair unblushing rose;
- The summer clouds that visit every wing
- With fires of sunrise and of sunsetting;
- The furtive flickering streams to light re-born
- 'Mid airs new-fledged & valorous lusts of morn,
- While all the daughters of the daybreak sing:—
- These ardour loves, and memory: and when flown
10 All joys, and through dark forest-boughs in flight
- The wind swoops onward brandishing the light,
- Even yet the rose-tree's verdure left alone
- Will flush all ruddy when the rose is gone;
- With ditties and with dirges infinite.
Dante G. Rossetti Xmas 1879
Electronic Archive Edition: 1
Copyright: © Yale University, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library