Rossetti Archive Textual Transcription
Document Title: The Mirror
Date of Composition: 1850 September
Type of Manuscript: fair copy
full Rossetti Archive record for this transcribed document is available.
Note: The first four lines on the facsimile are from DGR's letter.
- She knew it not,—most perfect pain
- To learn; & this she knew not. Strife
- For me, calm hers, as from the first.
- 'Twas but another bubble burst
- Upon the curdling draught of life:—
- My silent patience mine again.
- As who, of forms that crowd unknown
- Within a dusky mirror's shade,
- Deems such an one himself, and makes
10 Some sign; but when the image shakes
- No whit, he finds his thought betrayed
- And must seek elsewhere for his own.
Electronic Archive Edition: 1