Rossetti Archive Textual Transcription
Document Title: Thomas Chatterton (Delaware draft manuscript)
Author: Dante Gabriel Rossetti
Date of Composition: 1880 April
Type of Manuscript: draft manuscript
full Rossetti Archive record for this transcribed document is available.
- With Shakespeare's manhood at a boy's wild heart,—
- Through Hamlet's doubt to Shakespeare near allied
- And kin to Milton through his Satan's pride,—
- At Death's sole door he stooped, and craved a dart;
- And to the dear new
bower of England's art,—
- Even to that
- The unuttered heart that soared against his side,—
Drove the fell point
deep, and scorned the smart.
and smote life's seals apart.
- Thy nested home-loves, noble Chatterton;
10The angel-trodden stair thy soul could trace
- Up Redcliffe's spire; and in the world's armed space
- Thy gallant sword-play:—These to many an one
- Are sweet for ever; as thy grave unknown
inmost / sacred / secret
thine unrecorded face.
Electronic Archive Edition: