Rossetti Archive Textual Transcription
Document Title: Genuine Extract from the Diary & Letters of a Maniac
Date of Composition: 1849 June 30
Type of Manuscript: miscellaneous collection
full Rossetti Archive record for this transcribed document is available.
“Remember me to Gabriel; I fear he has quarrelled with me.”
- He says that I am wroth with him.
- Which reading, I should have been wroth
- Indeed, if the strange overgrowth
- Of downright nonsense & crude whim
- Which straggles once & yet again
- From page to page of that wild note
- Had not first proved him, beyond doubt,
- Quite irresponsibly insane.
- Was this well, brother, to have rear'd
10Thy pen against me? I would come
- To Lambeth through the heat & hum
- And beard thee—
hads't thou any beard.
- Bravo! Go at him! Crushing, this!
- Revenge, folk say, is sweet. It is.
- Ha! ha! ha! ha! He! he! he! he!
- Thus much from Dante Rossetti
- To Frederic Stephens, P.R.B.
Electronic Archive Edition: 1
Copyright: The Bodleian Library, Oxford