Rossetti Archive Textual Transcription
Document Title: On Refusal of Aid Between Nations (fair copy, State Historical Society of
Author: Dante Gabriel Rossetti
Date of Composition: 1849
Type of Manuscript: fair copy
full Rossetti Archive record for this transcribed document is available.
- Not that the earth is changing, O my God!
- Nor that the seasons tumble in their walk,—
- Not that the common ill of act and talk
- Seems close on the appointed period,—
- Not therefore are we certain that the rod
- Weighs in thine hand to smite the world; though now
- Beneath thine hand so many nations bow,
- So many Kings:—not therefore, O my God!
- But because Man is parcelled out in men
10Wholly;—because, for any wrongful blow,
- No man not stricken asks, “I would be told
- Why thou dost thus;” but
within his heart
- “He is he, I am I.” By this we know
- That the earth falls asunder, being old.
Electronic Archive Edition: 1