Rossetti Archive Textual Transcription
Document Title: William Blake (to Frederick Shields, on his sketch of Blake's work-room and
death-room, 3, Fountain Court, Strand.)
Date of Composition: 1880 July 13
Type of Manuscript: fair copy
full Rossetti Archive record for this transcribed document is available.
- This is the place. Even here the dauntless soul,
- The unflinching hand, wrought on; till in that nook,
- As on that very bed, his life partook
- New birth, and passed. Yon river's distant shoal,
- Whereto the close-built coiling lanes unroll,
- Faced his work-window, whence his eyes would stare,
- Thought-wandering, to no sight that met them there,
- But to the unfettered irreversible goal.
- This cupboard, Holy of Holies, held the cloud
10 Of his soul writ and limned. This other one,
- His true wife's charge, full oft to their abode
- Yielded for daily bread the martyr's stone,
- Ere yet their food might be that Bread alone,
- The words now home-speech of the mouth of God.
Electronic Archive Edition: 1