Rossetti Archive Textual Transcription
Document Title: Silent Noon (draft, Rosenbach Library)
Author: Dante Gabriel Rossetti
Date of Composition: 1871
Type of Manuscript: holograph draft
full Rossetti Archive record for this transcribed document is available.
- Your hands lie open in the long deep grass
- And the sweet points look through like rosy blooms:
All round The
waving meadow pasture gleams
- Neath billowing skies that scatter & amass.
About us twain, far as the eye can pass,
- Are golden king cup fields with silver edge
- Where the cow parsley skirts the hawthorn hedge.
- 'Tis visible silence,
- Think through this silence how when we are old,
10We two shall think upon this place & day,
- The beauty around us & the beauty above,
And each of the other's heart
And harbour in our hearts And
clasp unto our hearts, when tempests lour
- This close-companioned inarticulate hour
- When twofold silence was the song of love.
Electronic Archive Edition: 1
Copyright: Digital images courtesy of the Rosenbach Library.