Rossetti Archive Textual Transcription
Document Title: Silent Noon (corrected draft, Rosenbach Library)
Author: Dante Gabriel Rossetti
Date of Composition: 1871
Type of Manuscript: holograph corrected draft
full Rossetti Archive record for this transcribed document is available.
- Your hands lie open in the long
- And the sweet points look through like rosy blooms:
- The waving meadow pasture gleams & glooms
- 'Neath billowing skies that scatter & amass:
- All round us twain far as the eye can pass,
- Are golden kingcup fields with silver edge
- Where the cow-parsley skirts the hawthorn-hedge.
- 'Tis visible silence, as of the hour-glass.
- Think through this silence how when
we are old
old & grey,
10We two shall think upon this place and day,
- The beauty around us & the beauty above;
- Still clasping to our hearts, though tempests lour
- This close-companioned inarticulate hour
- When twofold silence was the song of love.
Electronic Archive Edition: 1
Copyright: Digital images courtesy of the Rosenbach Library.