Transcription Gap: pages 1-19 (not by DGR)
Page containing “For the
(in the National Gallery)” is formatted in three columns.
Transcription Gap: top of column one (not by DGR)
- Turn not the prophet's page, O Son! He knew
- All that thou hast to suffer, and hath writ.
- Not yet thine hour of knowledge. Infinite
- The sorrows that thy manhood's years must rue
- And dire acquaintance of thy grief. That clue
- The spirits of thy mournful ministerings
- Seek through yon scroll in silence. For
- The angels have desired to look into.
- Still before Eden waves the fiery sword,—
10Her Tree of Life unransomed; whose sad Tree
- Of Knowledge yet to growth of Calvary
- Must yield its Tempter,—Hell the
- Of Earth resign,—and yet, O Son and Lord,
- The Seed o' the woman bruise the serpent's
Dante G. Rossetti.
Transcription Gap: next twelve lines (not by DGR)
Transcribed Note (page 20):
* In this
picture the Virgin Mother is seen withholding
Child-Saviour the prophetic book in which his
foretold. Angelic figures behind examine a
Transcription Gap: columns two and three (not by DGR)
Transcription Gap: pages 21-36 (not by DGR)
Transcription Gap: pages 37-864 (not by DGR)