Rossetti Archive Textual Transcription
Document Title: Catalogue of the Association for Promoting the Free Exhibition of Modern Art
Author: Gallery, Hyde Park Corner (publisher)
Date of publication: 1849
Publisher: Gallery, Hyde Park Corner
Printer: J. Bradley, 78, Titchfield Street, St. Mary-le-Bone
full Rossetti Archive record for this transcribed document is available.
ASSOCIATION FOR PROMOTING
FREE EXHIBITION OF MODERN
GALLERY, HYDE PARK CORNER.
Open Daily, from 9 till Dusk. Admission, One Shilling.
PRINTED BY J. BRADLEY, 78 GREAT TITCHFIELD STREET
Transcription Gap: pages 1-17 (not by DGR)
Transcription Gap: top of page (not by DGR)
The Girlhood of Mary Virgin
G. D. Rossetti.
Note: The title of the poem is preceded by the catalogue number (no. 368) of DGR's painting of
the same name. It is followed by the asking price of the painting (80 pounds).
- “This is that blessed Mary, pre-elect
- God's virgin. Gone is a great while, and she
- Dwelt thus in Nazareth of Galilee;
- Her kin she cherished with devout respect:
- A profound simpleness of intellect
- Was hers, and supreme patience. From the knee
- Faithful and hopeful; wise in charity;
- Strong in grave peace; in duty circumspect.
- Thus held she through her girlhood; as it were
10 An angel-watered lily, that near God
- Grows, and is quiet. Till one dawn, at home,
- She woke in her white bed, and had no fear
- At all,—yet wept till sunshine, and felt awed;
- Because the fulness of the time was come.”
Transcription Gap: remainder of page (not by DGR)
Transcription Gap: pages 19-28 (not by DGR)
Electronic Archive Edition: 1
Copyright: © The Bodleian Library, Oxford