Rossetti Archive Textual Transcription
Document Title: Flower Pieces and Other Poems
Author: William Allingham
Date of publication: 1888
Publisher: Reeves and Turner
Printer: Billing and Sons
full Rossetti Archive record for this transcribed document is available.
Transcription Gap: pages i-ii (to be edited later)
Figure: Etching of DGR's drawing that illustrates Allingham's poem.
Transcription Gap: pages iii-ix (to be edited later)
Transcription Gap: pages 1-187 (to be edited later)
Figure: Etching of DGR's drawing. The old King leads his young Queen on a walk in a garden;
the Queen looks back at the young Page, who carries the train of her dress.
- There was a King, an old King,
- Chill his heart, and gray his head;
- And that poor King, that old King,
- A sweet young wife must wed.
- There was a Page, a young Page,
- Light of heart, and bright of hair;
- And that fair Page, that young Page,
- The young Queen's train must bear.
- But dost thou know the old song,
10Old story, sad to tell?—
- Death they found, they needs must die,
- Who loved each other well.
Transcription Gap: pages 190-194 (to be edited later)
Electronic Archive Edition: 1