Surtees, A Catalogue Raisonné, vol. 1, 86-87 (no. 150).
This is one of six designs that DGR executed in 1861-62 for a set of stained
glass windows that were made by the Morris Firm. The windows are now in the
Victoria and Albert Museum and the designs, including this one, are in the
Birmingham City Museum and Art Gallery. This particular design is
exceptional because in 1864 DGR made a separate
watercolour from it on commission from R. H. Williams, who had the
picture made as a wedding present for his wife.
See the commentary for The Story of St. George and the Dragon: the Skulls
Brought to the King.