Death of a Wombat
Dante Gabriel Rossetti
1869 November 6
Medium: pen and ink
Dimensions: 7 x 4 1/2 in.
Date on Image: 6th November 1869
Note: Dated on the urn in the picture's background.
Production Date: 1869 November 6
Model: Dante Gabriel Rossetti
Current Location: British Museum
Catalog Number: 1939-5-13-1.(6.)
Purchase Price: gift
Archival History: Jane Morris; May Morris; Dr. Robert Steele
Sources of the Work
Literary Source: Moore,
that John Gere
pointed out that this doublework parodies four lines from the beginning of “The
- I never nurs'd a dear gazelle
- To glad me with its soft black eye,
- But when it came to know me well
- And love me, it was sure to die!
Copyright: © Licensed by the Trustees of the British Museum
- I never reared a young Wombat
- To glad me with his pin-hole eye,
- But when he most was sweet & fat
- And tail-less; he was sure to die!
Electronic Archive Edition: 1