Samuel Bancroft, Jr.,
Note: There is a blue inked Bancroft stamp at center of verso.
- These are the symbols. On that cloth of red
- I' the centre is the Tripoint; perfect each
- Except the second of its points, to teach
- That Christ is not yet born. The books, - whose head
- Is golden Charity, as Paul hath said, --
- Those virtues are wherein the soul is rich:
- Therefore on them the lily standeth, which
- Is Innocence, being interpreted.
- The seven-thorn'd briar and the palm seven-leaved
- Are her great sorrow and her great reward. 10
- Until the end be full the Holy One
- Abides without. She soon shall have achieved
- Her perfect purity: yea, God the Lord
- Shall soon vouchsafe His Son to be her Son.
(D. G. Rossetti)
Note: The second sonnet of Mary's Girlhood appears in blue type on a piece of tissue paper affixed beneath the print, containing.
#9, Marillier, 1848 – 9, p. 22 / .. ess
Editorial Description: Cursive pencil across top left of board.
Editorial Note: The reference is to Marillier's book, DGR: An Illustrated Memorial , p. 22.
Manuscript Addition: Dante Gabriele Rossetti / P.R.B. 1849
Editorial Description: Bottom left of print.
Manuscript Addition: 51 Girlhood Mary Virgin / 56 71
Editorial Description: Cursive pencil at top left of verso, with “56” circled and @ldquo;71” in a box.
Manuscript Addition: 8
Editorial Description: Pencil at top right corner of verso.
Manuscript Addition: S40
Editorial Description: Pencil at bottom left corner.
Editorial Note: The reference is to the work's catalogue number in Surtees, A Catalogue Raisonné .