Rossetti Archive Textual Transcription
Document Title: Letter to Hall Caine, 27 July 1880
Author: Dante Gabriel Rossetti
Date of Composition: 1880 July 27
Type of Manuscript: letter
full Rossetti Archive record for this transcribed document is available.
Transcription Gap: first part of the letter (to be added later)
- His Soul fared forth (as from the deep home-grove
- The father-songster plies the hourlong quest)
- To feed his soul-brood hungering in the nest;
- But his warm Heart, the mother-bird, above
- Their callow fledgling progeny still hove
- With tented roof of wings and fostering breast
- Till the Soul fed the soul-brood. Richly blest
- From Heaven their growth, whose food was Human Love.
- Yet ah! Like desert pools that show the stars
10 Once in long leagues,—even such the scarce-snatched
- Which deepening pain left to his lordliest powers:—
- Heaven lost through spider-trammelled prison-bars!
- Five years, from seventy saved! Yet kindling skies
- Own them, a beacon to our centuries.
Electronic Archive Edition: 1