Rossetti Archive Textual Transcription
Document Title: Letter to Frances M. L. Rossetti, 20 July 1867
Date of Composition: 1867 July 20
Type of Manuscript: letter
full Rossetti Archive record for this transcribed document is available.
Transcription Gap: first page of the letter (to be added later)
Note: DGR finishes the letter vertically in the left margin for want of space.
Note: In this letter DGR refers to the
Aspecta Medusa image series.
P.S. You will be
glad to hear that
I yesterday got
from Mr Matthews
the great brewer
(who is Ind Coope &
for 1500 guineas,
just made of
Perseus showing the
in water to Andromeda.
Some lines of mine which
write opposite will
explain the subject to
the Antique. I am
going to set about the picture at once —
life-size I think.
- Andromeda, by Perseus saved and wed,
- Hankered each day to see the Gorgon's head:
- Till o'er a fount he held it, bade her lean,
- And mirrored in the wave was safely seen
- That death she lived by.
- Let not thine eyes know
- Any forbidden thing itself, although
- It once should save as well as kill; but be
- Its shadow upon life enough for thee.
Electronic Archive Edition: 1