Rossetti Archive Textual Transcription
Document Title: Dante Gabriel Rossetti. A Record and a Study
Author: William Sharp
Date of publication: 1882
Publisher: Macmillan and Co.
full Rossetti Archive record for this transcribed document is available.
Transcription Gap: remainder of the book's front matter (to be added later)
Transcription Gap: pages 1-129 (to be added later)
- “These are the symbols: on that cloth of red
- I' the centre is the Tripoint, perfect each,
- Except the second of its points, to teach
- That Christ is not yet born. The books whose head
- Is golden charity, as Paul hath said,
- Those virtues are wherein the soul is rich,
- Therefore on them the lily standeth which
- Is Innocence, being interpreted;
- The seven-thorn'd briar and the palm seven-leaved
10 Are her great sorrow and her great reward.
- Until the end be full the Holy One
- Abides without. She soon shall have achieved
- Her perfect purity:—yea, God the Lord
- Shall soon vouchsafe His Son to be her
Transcription Gap: pages 131-426 (to be added later)
Note: This manuscript facsimile of the sonnet is tipped into the book between pages
426 and 427.
Transcription Gap: pages 427-end (to be added later)
Electronic Archive Edition: 1