Rossetti Archive Textual Transcription
Document Title: Letter to Jane Morris, 3 September 1880
Author: Dante Gabriel Rossetti
Date of Composition: 1880 September 3
Type of Manuscript: letter
full Rossetti Archive record for this transcribed document is available.
Transcription Gap: the text of the letter (to be added later)
- The thronged boughs of the shadowy sycamore
- Still fledge young leaflets half the summer through;
- From when the robin 'gainst the unhidden blue
- Perched dark, till now, deep in the leafy core,
- The embowered throstles' urgent clangours gore
- The Summer silence. Still the leaves come new;
- Yet never rosy-sheathed as those which drew
- Their spiral tongues from spring-buds heretofore.
- Within the branching shade of Reverie
10Dreams even may spring till autumn; yet none be
- Like woman's budding day-dream spirit-fann'd.
- Lo! Tow'rd deep skies, not deeper than her look,
- She dreams; till now on her forgotten book
- Drops the forgotten blossom from her hand.
Electronic Archive Edition: 1