Marillier, DGR: An Illustrated Memorial, 113.◦
The Stained Glass of William
Morris and his Circle,
Surtees, A Catalogue Raisonné, vol. 1, 82 (no. 133).
This is the first of the series of seven designs that DGR made for a set of stained glass
windows to be manufactured by “The Firm”, that is to say, the partnership of Morris,
Marshall, Faulkner and Co. founded in April 1861. (See commentary for
The Story of St. George and the Dragon: the Skulls
Brought to the King.)
The stained glass panels made from this set of designs were first exhibited at the International Exhibition of 1862, and thereafter they were installed as the east window in St. Martin's-on-the-Hill Church, Scarborough.
(Stained Glass, 67) is highly critical of DGR's design technique.
The drawings for the series are all in the William Morris Gallery in Walthamstow.